Fail Fast or Win Big
The Start-Up Plan for Starting Now
Author: Bernhard Schroeder
Pub Date: February 2015
Print Edition: $21.95
Print ISBN: 9780814434789
Page Count: 208
e-Book ISBN: 9780814434796
Buy the book:
FAIL FAST OR WIN BIG
The Start-Up Plan for Starting Now
Just What Today’s Entrepreneurs Need: A Rapid-Moving, Low-Risk Guide to a Successful Venture—or the Next Bold Idea
The trusted route for yesterday’s entrepreneurs—devoting months to crafting a complex business plan and securing investment capital—is now part of the problem. In today’s start-up climate, that thoroughly-researched, meticulously-written business plan will be out of date before the entrepreneur’s great idea even comes close to reaching a market.
“There is no time to create the perfect company on paper before testing in the real world,” attests Bernhard Schroeder, a respected advisor to entrepreneurs with more than 20 years of marketing and start-up experience. But, he assures: “You don’t have to.” In FAIL FAST OR WIN BIG: The Start-Up Plan for Starting Now (AMACOM; February 2015; $21.95 Hardcover; available as an eBook), Schroeder gives everyone who wants to be an entrepreneur an edge on launching a profitable business—in 90 days or less. Drawing on his work with many talented entrepreneurs (the founders of Yahoo! and Amazon included), Schroeder presents a proven expedient route to start-up success. Fostering entrepreneurship by facilitating the introduction of product and service “rough drafts” to customers, and then, based on feedback, swiftly adjusting—or dumping—them, it’s called The LeanModel Framework.
Empowering aspiring entrepreneurs to get moving, without wasting any more time or waiting for their local bank’s approval, FAIL FAST OR WIN BIG covers the LeanModel Framework’s integrated components. Inspired by real-world success stories and guided by practical advice, readers will quickly become adept at:
• Leveraging all the lean resources around them, from their own skill set, local community, and personal circles to professional networks, online resources, and technology tools.
• Developing and evolving a solid business model, rather than agonizing over writing a formal business plan, with attention to their venture’s unique value, target segments, key partners, and creating a customer relationship “feeling.”
• Rapid prototyping—developing a rapid prototype (not ideal) sample product or service and getting it out there quickly to test customer response, then seizing on that feedback to tweak, overhaul, or completely abandon their breakout offering.
• Seeking out and trusting customer truth, which demands never assuming that they know what a customer wants or needs, relentlessly researching the marketplace and trends, and frequently talking with and always listening to real customers.
• Getting their start-up off the ground with alternative sources of funding, with particular attention the payoff of crowdfunding and pointers on preparing an effective reward or equity campaign...and more
“Opportunity is here and everywhere,” Schroeder stresses to anyone who wants to be an entrepreneur, whether an ambitious Millennial or a young at heart and restless Baby Boomer. FAIL FAST OR WIN BIG leads the new, rapid and realistic way to start-up success.
About the Author
BERNHARD SCHROEDER is the Director of Programs at the Lavin Entrepreneurship Center at San Diego State University. One of the premier programs of its kind in the country, Forbes ranked SDSU #18 among universities in the United States for entrepreneurship. He also teaches entrepreneurship, innovation, and creativity courses. Schroeder helped to create a $1 billion company CKS|Partners, the world’s largest integrated marketing communications agency. He has worked with American Express, Apple, Mazda, GM, Kellogg’s, Levi’s, Nikon, and Visa, among many outstanding firms and brands. He was also involved in the initial branding and marketing launches for Amazon, ESPN Online, Travelocity, and Yahoo! In 2013, he spoke about failing fast or winning big at a Tedx Event in Southern California, which then became the book FAIL FAST OR WIN BIG.
Search the full text of this book
Search Full Text of
For single copy purchases of any AMACOM title, you can connect directly to the online retailer of your choice, from the list below, to buy the title you have selected. Most of our links will take you directly to that title on the site, making your shopping experience easier. You can also visit your local retailer, and if the book is not on their shelves they can special order it for you.
Retailers: Please contact us to change or add a listing.
Buying in Bulk?
We have very competitive discounts starting at 5 copies, as well as personal service, for bulk orders. Simply contact our Special Sales Department. Call 800-250-5308 or 212-903-8420 and ask for Special Sales. You can also email: SpecSlsWeb@amanet.org